Monday, December 1, 2014

Week 74: Indian Summer

October 20, 2014

Hello family! (AND FRIENDS!) :)
I'm a bit out of time this week, but here is my short and bulleted report!
-It's been 75 degrees all week. So strange! New England is a funny place.
-We had the chance to watch a screening copy of Meet the Mormons with a bunch of other missionaries last week. I LOVED it! And so many of our ward members went and took their friends with to see it in the local movie theater. Our ward is so good at reaching out and sharing!
-Like Jord, we've been working on talking to more people that we meet as we go from appointment to appointment and this week we had some wonderful experiences doing so. We were able to get email addresses of a guy named Justin and his friend Conner and Justin responded really well to the "Because of Him" video we sent and now wants a Book of Mormon. So cool! Another wonderful experience talking to people was when we met Ty on Wesleyan campus. Sister Watts taught a powerful short version of the Restoration and I was just basking in the Spirit as I watched her testify. It was amazing!
-Two of our current investigators are Perry and Herbert. Perry is kind of pessimistic and has been attending the Jehovah's Witnesses, and the Elders haven't felt like he's made much progress, but when we met with him this week, we invited him to be baptized and explained that we want him to be a part of the ward family and it was EXACTLY what he wanted to hear. He wants to be more involved and he wants to act. It was so cool to see how making the right invitation (even if it seems a little bold/scary) can be just what people need to progress. Herbert we met when we were looking for a less-active. He lost his wife a few years ago and has basically lived in a state of misery since then. I don't think he really cares if he lives or dies. :( It's pretty heartbreaking, but I'm grateful we get to share with him and testify of the Plan of Salvation! He should be coming to the church for a church tour next week.
-I've been stressing out about making the very most of my last transfer, but I had some moments of clarity the last couple days. I feel like I'm relying on my own abilities and that I'm not giving up any control to the Lord. I'm just trying to do everything I can to make miracles happen, but I'm not realizing that all I have to do is be obedient and do my best and then the rest is in the Lord's hands. I cannot control everything. (My mission has taught me what a control freak I am...) :) And if miracles cease, it is because I am not exercising faith. (Moroni 7:35-38ish) So, I just need to do my best, be obedient, work hard, and trust that the Lord will accomplish His purposes in His time. And I just need to enjoy it! That was pretty much President Packard's only request for me at our last interview- that I would just let go and ENJOY my mission. Working on it! Who knew that could be so hard?! I'm getting all tense and feeling like I need to control/do it all perfectly. But it's all about receiving and acting of revelation! If I do my best and am obedient and have the faith to trust the Lord, it will all turn out how it should.

Another scripture I've found in the Book of Mormon that I KNOW is true:
Jacob 4:13
 13 Behold, my brethren, he that prophesieth, let him prophesy to the understanding of men; for the Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are, and of things as they really will be; wherefore, these things are manifested unto us plainly, for the salvation of our souls. But behold, we are not witnesses alone in these things; for God also spake them unto prophets of old.
I know that God has given us the Spirit AND living prophets to guide us and help us to know ABSOLUTE truth. I am so grateful!

And lastly, hysterical things that happened:
-Everything. Sister Watts just never ceases to be funny. :)
-Last night, we came home with our car full of random things. A random man gave us venison when we knocked on his door, someone else gave us a bunch of old grandma clothes and they also gave us stew and soap. It cracked us up. :)
-Some young college boys saw us getting out of the car one night and, thinking we were cute young college party girls, were like, "Where's the party at?!" and then they realized we were missionaries as Sister Watts was like, "At the church!" It was hysterical. We DID invite them to the upcoming ward Halloween party, got their emails, and sent them awesome church videos. #win

Praying for Victor! And Laurana, you will ROCK the ACT and Miss Hillcrest! That's just how Wheelers do things. :)

Love you all!
Love,
Sister Wheeler Jr.
Attached, for your enjoyment, is a hysterical picture that illustrates how much Sister Watts and I adore each other. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment